If you love the potato sausage soup at your favorite Italian restaurant, you HAVE to try this healthier version! It’s dairy-free and also super delicious!
If you want a little extra fiber, you can add some cannellini beans.
● 4 slices uncured bacon
● 1 lb (450 g) uncured Italian sausage with the casings removed (get your favorite brand: chicken or turkey!)
● 1 large onion, chopped
● 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
● 3 cloves minced garlic
● 6 cups (1.4 L) low-sodium chicken broth
● 6 medium red potatoes (chopped to bite-size)
● 6 oz (168 g) of fresh spinach or kale
● 8 oz (230 ml) of full-fat coconut milk (the kind in a can – mix it up really well before adding!)
● Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, saute the bacon over medium heat. When it’s done, remove it and drain off most of the fat. Next, add the sausage and cook until browned.
- Add the onion, and Italian seasoning and continue to saute for 2-5 minutes, until onion is softened. Add garlic and saute for about 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth and potatoes, and reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add the spinach or kale and the coconut milk and continue to summer until the greens and potatoes are tender. Add the bacon and heat through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!