This surprisingly delicious skillet recipe features all the big tastes: it’s sweet, it’s sour, it’s salty, and it contains the silky smoothness of your favorite cooking oil.
And it also contains a fermented food … sauerkraut! (great for your gut!)
It only takes a few minutes to put together and it’s great for pretty much any meal: breakfast, lunch or dinner — which means it’s a keeper!
- 4 links uncured chicken sausage (10 to 12 ounces/280 g to 340 g total)
- 1 tbsp olive, avocado, or coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 Granny Smith apples (peeled and diced)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups (180 g) spinach
- 2 cups (300 g) sauerkraut with liquid drained
- Heat the avocado oil in a frying pan over medium heat and toss in the yellow onion. Saute for about a minute before adding the sausage and cook until heated through. Add the apple and continue until the onion is caramelized.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking for another minute.
- Place the washed spinach leaves into the pan and toss, cooking until it is just wilted. Add sauerkraut and continue cooking until it is warm. Remove from heat and serve warm!