This is an insanely awesome (and easy) recipe that’s perfect for your own holiday parties, or to bring with you to a potluck.
These meatballs are healthy, but no one eating them would ever know!
They’re a little tangy, a little sweet, and packed with a lot of protein and deliciousness.
You can even make them a couple of days in advance and then reheat them when it’s time to eat.
If you’re feeding a crowd, double up on the ingredients and let them simmer in a slow cooker when it’s party time.
For the meatballs:
- 1 lb. (450g) ground turkey or chicken (use beef if you prefer)
- ¼ cup (24g) almond flour or ground oats
- 1 tsp (5g) garlic powder
- 1 tsp (1g) onion powder
- 1 tsp (8g) kosher sea salt
- ⅛ tsp (.5g) pepper
For the sauce:
- 18-ounce (225g) can crushed pineapple
- 1bottle (8 ounces) (224 g) your favorite low-sugar BBQ sauce
- ¾ cup (175ml) chicken or turkey broth (or beef broth if using beef for the meatballs)
- First make the sauce: in a large skillet, combine all three sauce ingredients (pineapple, BBQ sauce, broth) and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Then, lower the heat slightly and allow to cook while you prepare the meatballs.
- Next up, make the meatballs: Preheat your oven to 350ºF (175ºC) and line a baking sheet with a baking mat or parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- Combine the meatball ingredients and mix well. Use a tablespoon to scoop meat out and form 16 golf-ball sized meatballs. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, until they are cooked through. Remove from the oven and add to the sauce. Stir to coat.
- You can eat them immediately, or store covered in the fridge for two days before serving. Or reheat them using a crockpot to serve at a party or a potluck.
- Serving Size: 4-6 Servings