This recipe looks a lot more complicated than it actually is. It’s one of my favorites, and it comes together in just a few minutes.
It’s even quicker to prepare if you pre-chop your veggies on the weekend.
Have you tried frozen avocado yet? It’s definitely worth checking out. The night before you make this, I recommend taking your avocado out of the freezer, wrapping it in cling wrap so it doesn’t brown, and putting it in the refrigerator to thaw.
Bonus: Starting your day with a dose of protein, veggies, and healthy fat will keep you feeling full and satisfied! Adding a side dish of a half-cup of berries is an optional healthy boost.
● 1 tbsp olive oil
● ½ cup (75 g) diced onion
● ½ seeded & diced medium red or yellow bell pepper
● ½ cup (30 g) drained & rinsed canned blacked beans
● Dash chili flakes
● 2 eggs + 2 egg whites
● 1 oz. (25 g) goat’s milk cheese, cubed (optional)
● 2 tbsp salsa
● ½ cup tomatoes, diced
● ½ avocado, cubed
● Your choice of burrito wrapper: gluten-free tortilla or large lettuce/collard leaves
● Your favorite hot sauce
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the onions and peppers until soften and slightly caramelized. Add beans and pepper flakes and cook until warmed through, 3-4 minutes.
- While the veggies are cooking, in a medium bowl whisk the eggs and egg whites, and then add the cheese.
- When the veggies are heated through, transfer to a dish and if necessary, spray the skillet with non-stick spray. Pour in the eggs and scramble, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- To serve, spread each tortilla or lettuce leaf with some salsa, and then layer each with half of the black bean mixture, half the eggs, and half the tomato and avocado. Season with hot sauce. Roll up your tortilla or lettuce leaf like a burrito and enjoy!